Social Enterprise & Sustainability
As you may know already, or have learned after watching content that is part of the emPivot network, environmental and sustainability issues are complex. emPivot is a company that recognizes it is part of that complexity. We know that we are as much of a citizen with responsibilities as anyone else. With years of experience in the sustainability and community development sectors we are building a media company with a core set of values that we hope are reflected in our offerings and our actions.
emPivot.com is a media company already established as the leading online video network and video search engine for green-related content. emPivot.com’s mission is to be the digital media company and online service provider designed to effectively deliver content to a global community curious about sustainability, green products, campaigns, information and ideas.
We will help people explore and participate in green-related topics on their own terms. We split the mold of the green movement, creating an alternative to the exclusiveness that plagues it. We believe that everyone, regardless of their values, deserves a place to develop their views on issues that shape our future. We are giving global citizens, companies, and organizations a network where everybody is invited. (Read our Site Ethics to learn more about how this plays out online).
We work toward being a more sustainable company everyday at emPivot. As we grow we will stay committed to building a triple bottom line and social enterprise revenue model that redefines how a media company can impact sustainability. We will do this as we make available new services and products available.
Until that point in time we will continue to implement the following practices in three core areas: energy, work place and community.
- Locate our servers inside the Seattle City Light service territory (first city service territory to be carbon neutral)
- In-office energy conservation practices
- Require server and content delivery network vendors to show extensive energy saving technology practices
- Offset travel carbon expenditures using only Green E-Certified RECs
- Provide alternative transportation stipends for metro, car-sharing, and bike commuting
- Office recycling program; instituted building wide recycling compliance
- Source printing from green printing production houses
- Minimize unnecessary travel through use of video-conferencing and telecommuting
- Forest certified and recycled product furniture
- Electronics recycling collection
- emPivot team perform local stream clean ups and environmental education events
- Provide media training to local sustainability groups, schools, and youth organizations
- Buy local, including sourcing for products and services, including a focus on working with local coders and developers. (We really enjoy our Thursday farmers market right outside our office as well).
- Coop America Membership
- Additional memberships pending